Sunday 3 April 2011

Weekend progress report #2
























Well I have been working on Victrix a little each night during this week and over the weekend.  This stage is slow going! but I'm motivated at the moment to keep progressing with her - until I hit a brick wall!

I have been mainly working on details and layers but  I'm still not quite happy with the balance of the elements of the pattern. I can't move on to her neck and belly though until I'm happy with the layout of the pattern on her hindquarters and barrel!  So you can see some progression here but not a lot, unfortunately. Hopefully next weekend will see me moving on to the neck!


<< And another slightly improved but still somewhat coarse close-up photo here!

2 comments:

  1. She looks amazing already! I'm sure you'll find your mojo with her.

    Just wondering, do you use pastels or acrylics for the appy pattern with the 20/0 or 5/0 brush for the small ticking details?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, thank you for the encouragement :) Painting this on such a large model I am finding it a little daunting at times!

    With Victrix I pastelled the base colour first and then I painted the blanket and roaning with acrylics. I have also gone back in with pastels again in some areas and will continue to work back and fore between the mediums also incorporating some pencil work into the layers.

    The more layers and the more I mix up the technique and medium I find the better the result. I have no set method though, I just grab what I feel it needs at the time. :)

    ReplyDelete