Sunday 13 March 2011

What just a couple of seconds of inattention can do!

March 3rd Tayla had a car accident, through no fault of her own.  She was stationary waiting for her turn to enter an intersection.  When a car approached her from behind the driver took his eyes off the road and didn't notice she had stopped and rear ended her - with such force that he pushed her forward into the car in front of her.  She had the presence of mind that, although she had her foot on the brake she was still being pushed forward and pulled on her handbrake to try and stop herself from hitting the car in front - all to no avail of course.

Apart from a slightly sore back the first couple of days, Tayla fortunately isn't hurt. We do all the things required, police report, contact insurer, make appoint with crash repairer etc. go see repairer, he gives an initial estimate of $4,600 damage (car is insured for $10,000) so Tayla is feeling better about the fact that soon her car will be repaired and all will be back to normal. So we have to wait until the following week for the insurance assessor to inspect the car.

The week leading up to this and this past week I have been working 12 hour shifts to save a little extra money so I could buy a Du Boulay piece I have wanted for quite a few years so I'm getting somewhat excited about that prospect and also being able to buy a couple of Lynn Fraley sold out resins I really wanted! But....

Fast-forward to the insurance assessor - he inspects the car and with the new repair quote of $7,500 now decides the car is a write off, cannot be driven and is no longer covered by insurance!  So visualise here Tayla's world plummeting into the abyss as only a, somewhat histrionic teenager can do.  But as her mum it's been heartbreaking to watch just how sad she has been mourning the loss of her much loved car.  But this is something I can't fix, I can't put it all back together!  And now suddenly Tayla has no car to drive!



So you have to flash back now two years ago before Tayla bought her car.  The first car of choice was the new Suzuki Swift but at $20,000 that wasn't going to be an option as a first car. Plus she only had X amount of dollars saved.  So her next choice was this - And here she is with her first car.  I asked them to cover it in balloons and things as she couldn't drive it yet (too young only 15) and wanted to make it more fun for her, you can just see her inside the car fighting with the balloons! LOL  This was an awesome little car that had traveled just 36,000kms previously owned by a teacher . She paid $8,500 for it and as a surprise I had the alloy wheels, lower profile tyres, tinted windows, rear spoiler and yes even the 'Billabong' sticker put on for her.

As for me, there goes all my plans for the week!  I have never experienced this before, the time and stress involved in having to organise everything!  Taking time off work to look for cars, test drive, find a company that will insure it etc. - That was a days drama in itself that I just can't be bothered to go into here except to say be careful buying a sports version of a car that is factory fitted with a body kit because you know, even a 1.5 litre engine with a body kit goes much faster when a 17 year old is driving it!  *rolls eyes*  Ok so very quickly this particular insurance company first said they would insure the car if I would guarantee the 17 year old wouldn't drive it!  Well yeah because that really suits the purpose of buying the car!  Then they said ok she can drive it three days a week and it will cost me $3,600 a year for the pleasure!  Argh!!!

So I have been feeling emotionally drained, physically exhausted and a little sorry for myself too but I'm feeling a little better having typed this out so perhaps I will cut the long story shorter:

Tayla's old car is still here, hopefully they will pick it up next week. She has her new car but isn't enjoying it yet, still mourning her old car and feeling guilty any time she feels a little happy or excited about her new car.  I have been really worried about how sad she has been, I wanted to do whatever I could to try and make up for this loss that, and lets remember the poor kid did nothing wrong yet had her car taken away from her, a car that she saved for two years to buy. :(

So she ended up buying her dream Suzuki swift, a limited edition RE.3 pearlized white 2008 model that has traveled just 29,000kms.  Although she had to add all her savings (another $2000) and there was still a shortfall that I made up - so no more china purchases for me for a while!  But all this doesn't matter really in the big scheme of things.  I know Tayla is sad about her old car and I am exhausted by all the running around I have had to do and worrying about Tayla, my lost work time that I will need to try and make up this weekend and additional financial outlay for us both - BUT the outcome could have been a lot worse, I thank God no one was 'physically' hurt.

And to think all of this stress, sadness and upheaval all because some guy took his eyes off the road for just a second!

7 comments:

  1. Very glad she is not hurt! I was rear ended by a dump truck last September and the initial estimate was $5 or 6K, but the final repair bill was $12,500 (it's worth about 18K), and their insurance company still hasn't settled for my whiplash care. They said if they had known it was going to be that much they would have totaled it like they did Tayla's. Glad she was able to find something else, and that you were able to help her out with it. I'm surprised your insurance company has restrictions on her driving it. Did they have those restrictions with the first car?

    ReplyDelete
  2. :( So glad Tayla is safe and sound! Must have been a heart flipping phone call.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lynn,

    I'm so sorry to hear about your accident and the problems you have been having with the insurance grr!

    No there were no restrictions with the first car but, I was the policy holder on that car and didn't have her listed as a driver. I wanted to list her as the main driver on this new car but because it had a body kit, rear spoiler etc. they considered it too high risk, even though the car came off the production line like that, not modified! So I ended up settling for a bit of a dodgy insurance company but then when I went to withdraw the money from my bank to pay for the car they asked me if I had insurance and I never thought to get it through my credit union! Long story short I got insurance on this more expensive car at a cheaper rate than the previous car! So it turned out well but a day of dealing with insurance companies, worried I couldn't insure this car for Tayla and juggling quotes was draining! I currently have three policies on the car now LOL I will cancel the other two tomorrow now that my bank has insured it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen it was! I was at work (doing a 12 hour shift) and she called, her first words were "I'm ok, I'm not hurt" Argh!! Now every time she texts me saying "call me" I am so afraid and can't dial her number quick enough!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that's really good that you found less expensive insurance! Silly that a body kit and spoiler create a hassle. I hope everything works out for you two and she never has to go through this again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just saw this and Im so glad she is ok! but Im not sure how things work there down under or maybe I didn't understand your post correctly... but didn't the guy who hit her have insurance? he should have had to pay for the car even if she didn't have insurance.. at least thats how it works here. if you hit someone and its your fault you or your insurance company has to pay and if they don't you get a lawyer and they make them pay.. thats what insurance is for..so maybe I misunderstood that they totaled her car and then refused to pay ? and it should her his insurance company to pay for it not yours... I do like the new car though. cute! Id love to have a car like that.. I have a older infinity 4 door.. white.. very nice car but not my choice my x's.. and I ended up with it..it was that or take the even older mazda pick up which I hated to drive.. ... and my car has leather seats which I hate.. doesn't work well if you have 3 small dogs you would like to haul around to places to walk..... and cant because they slide all over the place.. lol oh well.....
    oh and Im so glad you now have a blog..'ll be reading! sorry you couldn't get the new china though! .. I'd also love one of her pieces.. love her work myself.. but no way could I ever afford one.. but you never know.. maybe someday I will have more money.. lol yea.. .so hug that kid for me.. thank god it was only the car that got hurt!
    Becky Turner
    SolticeArt Studio

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Becky, Yes the other guy had insurance, (thank goodness!). Tayla was paid out $10,000 for her written off car by his insurance company. But the new car cost $15,500 including on road costs (Govt taxes etc.) We also lost the balance of our insurance on the written off car which was paid up until the end of 2011. :( Then there is the police reports, insurance assessors, paperwork, phone calls, chasing around etc. - A total PITA and stressful! It's not something I want to experience again in a hurry and now Tayla's passenger (friend) wants to lodge an injury claim against Tayla *sigh*

    The old car finally got towed away this week, Tayla is now enjoying her new car more so things are on the improve - just have to sort out this injury claim now!

    ReplyDelete