Monday 14 March 2011

It's all in the details

When I paint a resin with beautifully sculpted details, I enjoy painting the piece so much more. I feel inspired to push myself, to do each sculpted detail justice. If the sculpting artist takes the time to sculpt it, I feel compelled and inspired to take the time to paint it, even accentuate it.  And so I 'try' to match that level of detail in my finishwork (which can be a little difficult at times controlling that cloud of dust with pastels).  And so it was with Lynn Fraley's Backbeat Thunder. When you look at these photos, look beneath the pastels and paint, look at the sculpting, which can be more easily seen and appreciated now he is painted - wow is all I can say...

There are several sculpting artists whose work I adore but I do particularly adore resins sculpted by Lynn Fraley and Sarah Minkiewicz-Breunig. For me, their pieces capture the essence of the horse. A moment frozen in time that I, more often than not, can relate to.  Their pieces stir long forgotten memories of times I spent with horses many years ago.  They have a certain spirit and beauty about them, and of course the level and quality of detail that these Ladies incorporate into their sculptures that I adore. Detail so superbly sculpted into the piece that you know it was a long time in the planning, it belongs, and always was going to be a part of the piece.  The detail is smooth enough to enable the finishwork artist to easily paint and follow the lines but not so smooth as to become somewhat sterile.  I particularly love how these Ladies manage to sculpt the characteristics of 'skin', the way it wrinkles and stretches for example - ah just thinking about it makes me want to paint again! - I'm looking forward to when my new Fraley resins arrive!

No comments:

Post a Comment